Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N1LAF on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Today, I have successfully installed and setup XAMPP portable on my thumb drive.  After this install, I installed, setup, and ran Wordpress.  I *just* got phpbb3 setup and running (just renamed the install folder).

Anytime I want to have, or need to have a webserver running, I have one that is ready and good to go.

The only problem I have is getting Tomcat to stay running.  I have this error message:
11:06:06 PM  [Tomcat] Attempting to start Tomcat app...
11:06:11 PM  [Tomcat] Status change detected: running
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Status change detected: stopped
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Error: Tomcat shutdown unexpectedly.
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] If you need more help, copy and post this
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] entire log window on the forums


So, I am not sure why it isn't running.  Maybe because of global warming.... ;)But it looks like it is using my system JDK instead of Tomcat:

[size=12][XAMPP]: Using JRE

[XAMPP]: Seems fine!
[XAMPP]: Set JRE_HOME : C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
[XAMPP]: Set CATALINA_HOME : H:\Webserver\tomcat

Using CATALINA_BASE:   "H:\Webserver\tomcat"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "H:\Webserver\tomcat"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "H:\Webserver\tomcat\temp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7"
Using CLASSPATH:       "H:\Webserver\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;H:\Webserver\tomca
t\bin\tomcat-juli.jar"
[/size]

Other programs/apps to add and try out:
Joomla
Drupal
Media Wiki
Moodle
ownCloud
Zurmo
Magnento
DokuWiki
Osclass

N1LAF
Charter Member

Posts: 68
Join date: 2011-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N2IZE on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 am

N1LAF wrote:Today, I have successfully installed and setup XAMPP portable on my thumb drive.  After this install, I installed, setup, and ran Wordpress.  I *just* got phpbb3 setup and running (just renamed the install folder).

Anytime I want to have, or need to have a webserver running, I have one that is ready and good to go.

The only problem I have is getting Tomcat to stay running.  I have this error message:
11:06:06 PM  [Tomcat] Attempting to start Tomcat app...
11:06:11 PM  [Tomcat] Status change detected: running
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Status change detected: stopped
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Error: Tomcat shutdown unexpectedly.
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] If you need more help, copy and post this
11:06:13 PM  [Tomcat] entire log window on the forums

Okay, I am not familiar with Tomcat or any of the specific programs you are trying to run.
From the log messages you posted above it appears you are running it on some sort of Linux or Unix box. OK. So it appears Tomcat is starting and then somewere along the line it balks and terminates about 3 seconds later. It even states "shutdown unexpectedly" so either Tomcat is killing itself or some other process is killing it, Then it's listing a number of possible reasons, i.e blocked port, missing dependencies, improper privileges, a crash (obviously), or shutdown by other method.

I would tend to suspect the most likely culprits might be a blocked port, improper permissions, or unavaliable resource in that order. I don't know what user privileges Tomcat is set to use but I assume its something other than "root". Usually when a piece of software runs as some user without root privileges the key issue is not enough permissions to access a certain device, folder, library, or resource. The first thing I would do is run a portscan and make sure whatever port(s) or range of ports are open for access. If any are blocked open them and see what happens. Most of the time this will solve the issue. If that fails then I would check permissions thoroughly. Make sure the process has permissions to access only whatever files, directories or devices it needs read or write access to. Since in Unix/Linus hardware devices are also seen as files (Unix/Linux treats everything as a file) also check permissions on whatever devices Tomcat requires. If it's a Linux box and you are running seLinux and/or a tight firewall make sure that proper rules and permissions are set to allowTomcat access to only what is needed. Next in line would be an unavailable resource, such as a missing or outdated library that doesn't contain proper functions that Tomcat needs . However I tend to doubt that is the problem here as usually there would be more specific output to indicate that a resource is missing as well as the name of the resource required. So I would gamble on a closed port or incorrect permissions. If need be you might be able to run Tomcat under "strace" to get a clearer picture of what is causing it to balk. Also, make sure the logging level on Tomcat is set to "-debug" so that it provides the maximum amount of logging output.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I lack familiarity with Tomcat and the other programs you are running. Most of the time its a problem with port access or not enough permissions.

So, I am not sure why it isn't running.  Maybe because of global warming.... Wink
You do realize that elsewhere you would be crucified for that global warming remark Wink


N2IZE
Moderator

Posts: 48
Join date: 2013-05-30
Location: New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N1LAF on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I thought you would get a chuckle over that comment

N1LAF
Charter Member

Posts: 68
Join date: 2011-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N2IZE on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes, I certainly did. Smile BTW let me know if you were able to resolve any of the problems you were having with the software. If need be I can try and dig for some more info and ideas.

N2IZE
Moderator

Posts: 48
Join date: 2013-05-30
Location: New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N1LAF on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 pm

I changed some National Instruments services from automatic to manual, LabVIEW still runs, and Tomcat now works - Problem solved.


N1LAF
Charter Member

Posts: 68
Join date: 2011-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N2IZE on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 pm

N1LAF wrote:I changed some National Instruments services from automatic to manual, LabVIEW still runs, and Tomcat now works - Problem solved.

Glad to hear you got it working. What exactly was the issue with Tomcat ? Did it start working properly once you changed to settings or did you have to set any permissions or ports ?

Got to head out to rehearsal now. Be back later.


N2IZE
Moderator

Posts: 48
Join date: 2013-05-30
Location: New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N1LAF on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 pm

There were some services from National Instruments that were set to automatic, I changed them to manual - they were related to their variants of webserver for LabVIEW products.

N1LAF
Charter Member

Posts: 68
Join date: 2011-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally have XAMPP Portable up and running

Post  N2IZE on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 pm

N1LAF wrote:There were some services from National Instruments that were set to automatic, I changed them to manual - they were related to their variants of webserver for LabVIEW products.
Ah okay. Glad it worked out.

N2IZE
Moderator

Posts: 48
Join date: 2013-05-30
Location: New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum