Distributed Computing Apps ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Distributed Computing Apps ?

Post  N2IZE on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Does anyone here participate in any of the ongoing projects which utilize a distributed computing model in which you donate your pare CPU cycles to a project. I am talking about projects such as SETI or GIMPS. I run GIMPS on 3 separate systems here. GIMPS stands to the "Great Internet Mersienne Prime Number Search). Basically it involves testing extremely large exponents of the form 2^n - 1 in search of huge prime numbers. Even on a fast machine testing a single exponent for the first time can take months. 2nd tests and verifications run faster. The sotware in non intrusive in that it uses spare CPU resources and does not take priority over other applications. Thus, if another application requires more CPU cycles the GIMPS software will slow down and give all other apps priority. If you are running a multicore system you can run a separate thread on each CPU. So for example if you have a quad core system you can run a separate test on 1, 2, or or all 4 cores. The software automatically communicates with the central server to estimate the completion date of each test and as a given test nears completion the central server assigns new work. There is also a monetary reward if you are fortunate enough to discover a new prime.

For anyone who might find this sort of thing interesting you can get more information at the following link to the official page of the GIMPS project.

GIMPS Prime Integer search

N2IZE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Distributed Computing Apps ?

Post  N9XR on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:12 pm

To go where no man has gone before and do the prime directive. Yeah. No. I don't know anything about that. My calculator only goes to 100e498.
N9XR
Charter Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  N2IZE on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:19 pm

N9XR wrote:To go where no man has gone before and do the prime directive.  Yeah.  No.  I don't know anything about that.  My calculator only goes to 100e498.  
No need to understand it. The computer does all the brainwork. And for each instance you run you have about a 0.00000022 chance of discovering a prime and receiving a monetary award and you might even get the prime named after you. Not to mention all the fame, popularity and recognition. You'll have to take your phone off the hook to get a nights sleep. I'm running 4 instances of it so I have very roughly a 0.00000088 probability of discovering a prime.

All kidding aside this project has produced winners. Figure with millions of CPU's and astronomical numbers of spare CPU cycles its bound to keep happening. Imagine what will happen when quantum computers become the norm...

N2IZE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top