Rag Chew Net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry National Matches

2 posters

Go down

Camp Perry National Matches Empty Camp Perry National Matches

Post  N8YX Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Unlike 'DSG, I'm not one for organized team sports (Go Steelers - and take the Penguins and Pirates with you!) but I do enjoy watching and participating in individual challenges.

Ergo, the annual National Matches are a favorite draw. On any given day there are enough small arms present to equip a fairly large army and the competition varies between hobby-plinker level all the way to the shooting teams fielded by the U.S. Army and USMC.

Needless to say, besting the "officially sponsored" competitors in their own bailiwick is an accomplishment and earns one well-deserved bragging rights.

Each time we've attended hundreds of thousands of rounds have gone downrange without NDs, theaters being shot up or school children being massacred. (Imagine that...) Everyone seems to have a wonderful time, including the base staff whose job it is to keep things functioning smoothly.

Pros:

It's a 2hr drive for us. Vendor's Row is well-stocked with every conceivable competition firearm, accessory, clothing or reloading supply one could possibly need. The CMP Store usually has a wide selection of service rifles in various grades which can be used in various program matches.

Cons:

It's a 2hr drive for us. Vendor's Row is well-stocked with every conceivable competition firearm, accessory, clothing or reloading supply one could possibly need. The CMP Store usually has a wide selection of service rifles in various grades...

Has anyone else made the trek to the Matches? If so, did you ever compete and how did you score? I've put together an A3 NM for 'DSG (200-300-600M SR Matches) and if Armalite has an AR10NM at the event I may see about picking it up for use in the 1KM HP SR matches.

N8YX
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry National Matches Empty Re: Camp Perry National Matches

Post  KK4ami Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 am

I lived on the other side of Ohio. I was a "shotgun" kid only. Shot Trap and skeet but no rifle. Now that I'm in Virginia, I've gone to rifle. I sold off all my .223 stuff and moved to 308 Win. My long range rifle is a Remington Mod 700 5R with a 3.5x10 power Leupold (My M24 SWS replica). The ranges around here go to about 300 yards max. I would like to have a 1000 yd range to shoot at. I hear the NRA has an old sniper rifle class shoot now. Maybe someday they will include modern sniper weapon systems. I'd love to build a XM2010 replica in 300 Win Mag.rabbit 

KK4ami
Charter Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum